Premium Websites (databases):
Use your library card number to access these.
Grolier Online: Search Grolier’s award winning products together or individually. Includes:
- America the Beautiful: State-by-state history for elementary and middle school.
- Grolier Multimedia Encyclopedia: Quick reference with rich media for middle school and higher.
- Grolier Online Kids
- Lands and People: An encyclopedia of countries and cultures for middle and high school.
- New Book of Knowledge: Reference and current events for elementary school or higher.
- The New Book of Popular Science: Science and technology for middle and high school. Includes science projects and science in the news.
RefUSA: Residential and Business Directory information, plus much more.
Virtual Reference Library: Search reference books and encyclopedias online.
Recommended Free Websites:
Search engine for acronyms, abbreviations and initialisms.
American FactFinder: Population, housing, economic, and geographic data from the U.S. Census Bureau.
CIA World Factbook:
Summary of data for over 260 countries.
Collects statistics from over 100 government agencies in one place where you can search or browse by topic, publication, or geography.
Find statistics, facts, and historical records from the Information Please Almanac, and sports and entertainment almanacs. Includes Columbia Encyclopedia, dictionary, and atlas.
Old Farmer’s Almanac:
Online almanac containing information about sunrises, weather, astronomy, folklore, gardening, and more.
Statistical Abstract of the United States
Online version of the annual government publication featuring social, economic, and environmental statistics about the United States and comparative differences between geographic areas.
National yellow and white page directory online.
Gateway to official information and services from the U.S. government.
Where to write for Vital Records:
State and territory contact information for obtaining vital records.
Who Are Your Elected Officials in Maryland:
Find out who represents you in the Maryland General Assembly and the U.S. Congress.
Comprehensive language portal with more than 2,500 dictionaries, including over 300 languages.