Cards are free to:
- anyone who lives or works in Maryland
- anyone with a valid card from any of the following libraries:
- cities of: Alexandria, Falls Church, and Washington D.C
- Virginia counties of: Arlington; Fairfax, Loudoun, and Prince William
Out of State residents may obtain a card for a one-time fee of $40.00.
Proof of name and address required. Applicants who work or attend school in Maryland but live out of state will need to provide proof of Maryland employment or enrollment along with proof of address to obtain a library card. Children under the age of 14 must have parent/guardian’s signature in order to obtain a library card. Parent/guardian must provide proof of his/her own name and address.
Cards expire if not used in 2 years. Library users are responsible for lost or damaged materials, and parents/guardians are responsible for all materials borrowed on their child’s card. Replacement card $1.00. Report change of address or phone number to your local branch or change it yourself in our catalog.
Proof of Address Examples:
- Valid MD driver's license or state ID card
- A current piece of mail addressed to you
- Current paystub
- Current utility bill
- Lease agreement of property title
- A printed check
- MVA Change of address card
Steps for getting a library card
- Fill out our Online User Registration form in the online catalog.
- Once you've received your Temporary ID number, visit any FCPL Branch to pick up your permanent card. You may use your Temporary ID number to place a hold on up to three items. Temporary ID numbers expire after two weeks.
- Proof of address is required. For a child without proof of address, a parent's proof of address is needed.
- The cardholder must be present to receive a library card.
Library Cards for Minors
Children under the age of 14 must have parent/guardian’s signature in order to obtain a library card. Parent/guardian must provide proof of his/her own name and address.
Approved by the Board of Trustees of Frederick County Public Libraries 6/2/2004