The Friends of the Edward F. Fry Memorial Library at Point of Rocks was formed in August 2006. Mr. Fry’s dream has led to the creation of a small satellite facility under the auspices of Frederick County Libraries. The first board meeting was held on September 11, 2007. The officers of the board were elected to assist with support and advocacy of the Edward F. Fry Memorial Library. The friends group raises money for special projects specifically for Point of Rocks and surrounding communities, and works to foster an awareness and appreciation for library services and programs in the region.
The Friends of the Friends of the Edward F. Fry Memorial Library at Point of Rocks is a volunteer organization committed to promoting, preserving, and strengthening the Library programs at Point of Rocks and the Urbana Regional Library.
Top 7 Reasons You Should Join:
Your support is vital to the success of this wonderful community resource. While certainly not the only ones, here are the top seven reasons to join the Friends of the Edward F. Fry Memorial Library at Point of Rocks.
- Meet other library, book, and educational lovers like yourself.
- Promote the full use of the library as a valuable and vital community resource.
- Be able to help advocate our own library and its community.
- Respond quickly to special needs of the library and its community.
- Help funding for special materials and equipment through dues, solicitations, and sales.
- Underwrite literacy and educational programs for children and senior citizens.
- Enjoy a positive, great personal pride that comes from helping your local library.
First Year Incentives:
Private contributions and fundraising, managed by the Friends, enable your library to offer a higher quality of programs and services than would be otherwise possible. In its first year, the Friends of the Edward F. Fry Memorial Library at Point of Rocks will provide financial and other support for many initiatives, including:
- A community book sale
- Story time for children
- Family Storytime – Monday at 7:00 pm
- Preschool Storytime – Tuesday at 11:00 am
- Support the creation of new programs that promote literacy
- Promote reading clubs for all ages
- Improve the quality of services offered at the library
Exciting Times Ahead!
Point of Rocks is growing, and so is our library system! New faces and ideas are sprouting, and now is a fabulous time to consider joining the Friends of the Edward F. Fry Memorial Library at Point of Rocks. Whether you have a special interest in a particular aspect of the Urbana Regional Library, or simply want to get together with a friendly, motivated group of advocates, stop by to learn more!